The White School House on Daufuskie Island was built in 1913 for the white children who lived on the Island. The school closed in 1962. The school house is now the island library. In the early 1930’s Gullah children attended the two room Mary Field School. Mary Fields School opened in 1933. The school was integrated in 1981 and classes continued at Mary Field until 1997, when the Daufuskie Island Elementary School was built.