Image 1 of 1
Members of the First Union African Baptist walk from services to the community center in the former Mary Fields school. The church, now a historical landmark, began in 1879 when John Stoddard divided his Mary Field plantation into lots and sold 12 acres to former slaves for the purpose of building a church and cemetery. The original church building burned in 1884 and was rebuilt in 1885.