back to thumbnails

Shadows of the Gullah Geechee

Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 30 of 188
< Prev Next >
200602170172.tif
Members of the First Union African Baptist walk from services to the community center in the former Mary Fields school. The church, now a historical landmark, began in 1879 when John Stoddard divided his Mary Field plantation into lots and sold 12 acres to former slaves for the purpose of building a church and cemetery. The original church building burned in 1884 and was rebuilt in 1885.