back to thumbnails

Shadows of the Gullah Geechee

Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 37 of 188
< Prev Next >
200605270209.tif
Golf carts from private communities on Daufuskie Island surround the First Union African Baptist. Traditionally a Gullah church, it is now also used by residents of the private gated communities and visitors to the island. The church, now a historical landmark, began in 1879 when John Stoddard divided his Mary Field plantation into lots and sold 12 acres to former slaves for the purpose of building a church and cemetery. The original church building burned in 1884 and was rebuilt in 1885.